weather forecast called for cold freezing rain with frigid breezes for
this March Launch. This made me think twice before heading to Maryland’s
Eastern Shore to try to get a rocket into the air. The lack of any
flights in February pushed me past any sane decision so Toni and I
packed the Highlander and headed to Holly’s for a nice warm breakfast
before heading to Higgs Farm. We arrived at Higgs Farm to a growing
crowd of eager flyers and a misty rain. The cold mist ended and the
field was quickly set up.
The cold winds were blowing directly into the flight line which
prevented me to attempt any recovery without risks of smacking someone’s
windshield. Instead I helped with some equipment repairs while Toni
helped with registration. I filmed some other flights while waiting for
the winds to change direction. Unfortunately the winds never cooperated
and Toni and I returned home with no flights for the day.
Sunday got Ben and I off to a late start as we headed to the field to
try and squeeze a flight up into the dreary clouds. After a quick lunch
we arrived at the crowded field. Behold, the winds had strayed from the
north which would allow easy recovery away from the spectator area.
I prepped Shaken, Not Stirred
for flight and purchased a H225 White
Thunder motor from Animal Motor Works (AMW). Ben assisted getting
Shaken, Not Stirred
on the pad and connected to the launch system.
Shaken, Not Stirred
leapt from the pad riding its plume of white smoke
to 1,543 feet before deploying its drogue chute. Shaken, Not Stirred
danced on its descent which allowed the nose cone to work free but the
main parachute remained snug before being blown clear and deploying at
300 feet. Shaken, Not Stirred
was recovered without any damage. See Shaken, Not Stirred fly here.
That was the only flight for us. We filmed other flights before it was
time to pack up the field. We hung around enjoying the conversation
before starting our journey home. I was glad that I made the Sunday trip
and got a successful flight. The next launch is Red Glare 14 and
preparations are already being started. Until the next launch . . .