Februaryís dismal rocket launch, I was looking forward to
getting a rocket into the air. Marchís rocket launch had to
already be re-scheduled due to, once again, terrible weather. I
made my solo trek to the Eastern Shore Saturday morning and
popped through the Brigadoon bubble that surrounded Higgs Farm.
This Brigadoon bubble had its own weather pattern as I left blue
skies and entered into a windy blizzard of snow. The field was
cold, wet, with limited visibility due to intense snow. At
around 10:00 AM I wised up and jump back on the right side of
the fine line between dedication and stupidity and started my
trek back to the Western Shore. Once back on the Western Shore,
the skies were blue, the winds calm, and more importantly, no
rain or snow. I was able to actually get some yard work around
the house completed while it continued to snow back at the
field. I was told there were only less than a handful of
Sunday morning I woke again with that pending itch to fly. Toni
and I leisurely made my return to Higgs Farm and arrived in
early afternoon to a crowded field, sunny skies, blustery winds,
and an illusion of warmth. I filmed some flights and paid close
attention to what the winds were doing at the various altitudes.
Once I was happy, I took Shaken, Not Stirred
of the car and dusted her off.
Shaken, Not Stirred
was prepped with the familiar
CTI H120-Red motor and taken to the pad where she bobbed in the
wind until it was time to launch. Shaken, Not Stirred
took to the skies on her red plume and arced into the wind at
1,387 feet where the apogee ejection charge separated her and
deployed the small drogue. Shaken, Not Stirred
danced during her descent and successfully deployed her mains at
300 feet above the field. The wind carried Shaken, Not
and dropped her just this side of the creek
where she was recovered without damage. Shaken, Not
was the second last flight for the day and I
felt glad that my itch was scratched.
We packed up the field and headed to Adamís Ribs to celebrate a
fellow memberís birthday before heading home. It was a salvaged
weekend that ended well. Next month is Red Glare 17 and everyone
east of the Mississippi is hoping for great weather. We shall
all the day's flights here
. Until the next launch . . .